Monday, July 20, 2020

Making a Gastly (Pokemon) Inspired Look: An Intro to Pokemonbounding and Gastly Community Day


Gastly photobomb from Pokemon GO Gastly Community Day

     As I'm sure many of you are aware, I love Pokemon GO.  One of my favorite Pokemon is Gastly, although Brian will tell you that I say that about every Pokemon.  I've been doing a lot of Disneybounding these last few months (which I hope to have a post about sometime in the future), and I thought it would be fun to dress up in the style of some of my favorite Pokemon.  I'm using the term Pokemonbounding here, but you could also call it a Pokemon cosplay.
     I got the idea to make a Gastly look by layering a purple tulle overskirt over one of my many black rompers.  When Niantic announced that there would be a Gastly Community Day in July, I decided that I had to make my Gastly look to wear for Community Day.  I've included a video of the process of making the overskirt below, which some of you may already have seen on my YouTube channel.  I also ended up making a Gastly plushie to go with the look and plan to post that tutorial sometime in November or December.


     For the rest of this post, I just wanted to share some more pictures of the look, as well as some of my favorite Gastly Community Day moments.  First up we have some pics of the outfit:


Me pretending to be a ghost, since I'm styled as a ghost type Pokemon.


Conspiring with my little plush Gastly.



I was quite pleased with how this look turned out.  I think it captured Gastly's vibe pretty well, but let me know what you think.

     Next up, here are a few of my favorite AR photos from the day:




I was lucky to find a shiny Gastly within the first 15 minutes of the event, while Brian and I were out taking pictures.




Here's another photo bomb.  I thought the photo bombs were the cutest thing.


     I had a great time.  I played for probably about three and a half hours of the event and managed to snag 14 shinies.  I spent most of the time indoors playing from an incense, which was nice because it was pretty hot and humid out.  Even with the extended time window, I forgot to evolve my Gastlys, so I'll have to wait until December and hope that they do the same sort of thing as last year, where you can evolve for a special move during the December Community Day time window.
     What Community Day are you hoping for?  This may sound a little silly, but I would love to have a Meowth Community Day for better odds at finding a shiny, and hopefully some adorable photo bombs.  Which, speaking of Meowth, I'll have a post up here for a Meowth look probably next week, after Pokemon GO Fest.  Stay tuned for more Pokemon content.

No comments:

Post a Comment