Thursday, July 23, 2020

Turning a Romper into My Wedding Dress


     For our final wedding post of the season, I've saved the best for last - my wedding dress.  When Brian and I started talking seriously about getting married in October of last year, I immediately started thinking about what I wanted to wear.  At the time, he and I were both grad students, so buying a traditional wedding dress would have strained our budget, and I've never been a white dress gal.  I had been debating whether to go for an Alice in Wonderland themed or Halloween themed wedding, and ultimately settled on Alice in Wonderland.  I thus decided that I would look for something blue to wear.
     I started googling blue prom rompers, and while there were some pretty ones, they were still pricey and there were none that I adored.  What seemed to set apart many of the prom rompers from the less fancy rompers was a tulle overskirt.  I had a pretty blue romper I had used for Alice in Wonderland Disneybounding, and I thought, I bet I could make a tulle overskirt.  So I did.
     As someone who is still relatively new to sewing, the making of this overskirt was a bit of a process, with plenty of hiccups along the way.  However, while the garment is far from perfect, I think I 100% made the right choice in constructing my own dress.  It added an extra touch of specialness to be wearing something that I had made, and I felt so beautiful in it on the day of.  I've actually worn both pieces of the look since for Disneybounds, and I still feel beautiful when I put it on.
     Here's a video of the overskirt making process.  While you could use it as a tutorial, there are probably far better tutorials out there on making an overskirt, so I would recommend watching it more as a sneak peek into my wedding dress journey.  I'm so excited to be sharing this with you, and I hope you enjoy this post!


     If you're looking for more photos of the dress, don't worry, I've got plenty :)


These first two pictures were taken right after the ceremony.  It was very bright out, so we had some trouble finding the best lighting.



We came back in the evening to take a few more pictures.  Here you can see the dress in a few different lighting situations.





     The last picture is from an Alice in Wonderland Disneybound shoot I did on my birthday.  I've reused both the romper (okay, technically the wedding romper's identical twin) and the overskirt a few times since the wedding.  Some people might find this tacky, but I'm all for reusing clothes.  Why would I want to wear something this pretty only once?
     That concludes the wedding posts.  Next week we'll be diving right into Halloween content.  I hope you're as excited for Halloween crafting as I am!

No comments:

Post a Comment