Thursday, March 12, 2020

Turning Myself into a Paper Doll


     If you've ever wanted to cartoonize yourself, but felt like you don't have the prerequisite drawing skills, then this may be the post for you.  In the first video in this two-part series, I'll show you how to use a tracing technique to come up with a cartoon version of yourself.  In the second, I'll show you how to color in the image digitally to get a more polished looking image.
     This technique works great for making paper doll versions of yourself or your loved ones, and could be a great gift, especially for the kids in your lives.  While the paper doll angle is the focus of this series, the same techniques will work for making cartoon avatars.
     When I made the first iteration of my paper doll, I had no intention of making a series of paper doll videos.  I was trying to think of a doll related craft to do for my Hey, Day series, and wondered if this would work.  I've used tracing before to create silhouettes, but I thought that I lacked the skills to draw in the facial features.  When the drawing portion worked better than I had expected, I decided to play around with coloring techniques to see if I could get a more polished looking doll, and when that worked okay, I decided to make a second video.  I don't currently have plans for any subsequent videos, but I do love paper crafting, so if you'd like to see more content like this, let me know and I'll see what I can come up with.

How to Draw Yourself as a Paper Doll (Part I of the Video Series)



Digitizing Your Paper Self (Part II of the Video Series)


No comments:

Post a Comment