Thursday, August 1, 2019

Room 217 Passkey


     As some of you may know if you've been following my blog for a while, my favorite movie is Stephen King's The Shining.  No, not the Stanley Kubrick film.  The made-for-TV miniseries that basically no one likes except for the Master of Horror himself and me.  Each year for Halloween, I decorate the bathroom as room 217 (see, e.g., Halloween 2018) and last year I decided to add the stolen passkey into the mix.  I tried to design mine to be reasonably close to the one featured in the miniseries adaptation of The Shining.  However, if you like Kubrick's adaptation better, you could easily mimic the passkey from his film instead.


The stolen passkey on the sink in "room 217."

Materials:

*Skeleton key
*Cream colored cardstock
*Color printer or brown marker (I used my Silhouette CAMEO to cut the "2" from the cream colored cardstock and added brown cardstock in behind, but printing or drawing on the "2" would be faster and easier).
*Hole punch
*Key ring

Directions:
*Print the number 2 onto a sheet of cream colored cardstock.  (If you're drawing on the number with a marker, you can wait to add the "2" until after you've cut out the diamond shape.)

*Cut out a rounded diamond shape with the "2" at its center, using the template below.


*Punch a hole in the top of the passkey and attach the skeleton key to the passkey using a key ring.

No comments:

Post a Comment