Thursday, December 1, 2016

Maine is Where the Heart is Felt Ornament


     Show some love for the greatest state this holiday season.  While my template is for Maine, you could easily design a template of your own and follow the same steps to create an ornament for your home state.

Materials:
*Felt in a color of your choice
*Metallic marker
*Heart button
*All purpose adhesive (optional)
*Needle and thread
*Stuffing
*Metallic thread

Directions:
*Print out the Maine template below or find/create a template for your state.  The dot on my template marks the approximate location of the Bangor area, which is where my family is from and thus where I wanted the heart on my ornament to be.


*Trace two copies of the state template onto the felt using metallic marker and cut out.


*I used a little bit of all purpose adhesive to hold my heart button in place before sewing it on.  The drawback to this approach is that I had to sew through the glue, but it wasn't much of a challenge and ensured that I got the heart in the right location.


*Stitch together the two copies of the state using a blanket stitch, leaving a gap for stuffing.


*Stuff and sew closed.


*Slide some metallic thread through the stitching toward the top and tie the ends together to create a loop to use to hang the ornament from the tree.

No comments:

Post a Comment