Wednesday, April 14, 2021

Cracked Porcelain Nail Art


     Originally I was trying to do a marbling technique. After ruining my thumb nail trying to smudge the black lines with isopropyl alcohol, I decided that I liked the cracked design that I had going on.  It reminded me of a broken porcelain doll.  While the cracks are perhaps a little thick up close, they're quite visible from a distance, which I like.  Another nice thing is that you don't need any special nail art tools.  All you need is some nail polish and a Sharpie.  These look great for every day wear, but could also be a nice addition to a Halloween broken doll costume.


The nail art isn't clear here, but I can still see that there's something going on with these nails.  It actually looks kind of marbled, I feel like, although it doesn't so much when you get up close.

Materials:

*Clear nail polish base and top coat
*White nail polish
*Black Sharpie

Directions:

*Paint nails with a clear base coat.  Let dry.

*Paint nails with a coat of white nail polish.  Let dry.  Follow with an additional coat of white polish if needed.


*Once the white polish is sufficiently dry, use a Sharpie to draw cracks on your nails.  Let sit for about half an hour or so.


*Carefully seal in the design with a clear top coat.  I found that the Sharpie smudged pretty easily, although not really much worse than the nail art pen I had smudged when I applied the top coat.  For a less smudgy alternative, you could use black acrylic paint and an ultra fine nail art brush to draw on the cracks.  That's probably how I would have approached this if I had been shooting for this aesthetic from the get go.

No comments:

Post a Comment