Monday, September 21, 2020

DIY Vaporeon Fin Headband: Pokemonbounding Episode 5


     For September's Pokemonbounding video, I finally got around to putting together the Vaporeon look I've been talking about.  I have both a video tutorial and a written tutorial.  However, I forgot to take pictures to accompany the written tutorial, so if I'm not clear in places, the video can probably help.  I've included the video below, and keep reading for the written tutorial as well as some more pictures of my completed Vaporeon look.


DIY Vaporeon Fin Headband


Materials:

*9"x12" medium blue felt sheet
*9"x12" light yellow or cream colored felt sheet
*Scissors
*Fabric pen or metallic marker
*All purpose adhesive
*Dazzle tac or other strong adhesive
*Copper wire
*Wire cutters

Directions:

*Print out a copy of each of the fin templates given below:


Side of Head Fin Template


Top of Head Fin Template

*From the light yellow or cream colored felt, cut out two copies of each of the full fin shapes.  You'll want to trace one copy from the front side of the template and one from the back, so that when you cut them out, you'll have pieces that are mirror images of one another.

*From the medium blue felt, you'll want to cut the uppermost segment on either fin out and trace that onto the felt.  You'll need two copies of each upper fin piece type, again cutting one with the template facing printed side up and another with it facing printed side down.  Once you've cut out your pieces, you should find once again that they mirror one another.

*Glue the medium blue fin pieces onto the top parts of the respective cream fin pieces.

*To create the ridges in Vaporeon's ear fins and add stability, cut off small sections of wire and glue them to the backs of the fins along where the fin lines on the template are.  Let dry.

*For the top of the head fin, glue a piece of wire in where the fin line is on one of the pieces of felt only.  Then glue the two top of the head fins together, wrong sides facing.  Let dry.

*Turn the top of the head fin so that it is oriented like it is on Vaporeon's head.  Cut off a long, narrow strip of medium blue felt and glue that to the front of the fin to hide where the cream colored felt is showing through.

*Using Dazzle Tac or another strong adhesive, glue the side fins to the sides of the headband.  Make sure you are in a well ventilated area, if your adhesive calls for this.  Let dry for a couple of hours.

*Drape the headband over an object (I used a folded drying rack) so that you can attach the top of the head fin.  Let dry for 24 hours, or however long your chosen adhesive calls for.

Vaporeon Look

     Here are some more pictures of my completed Vaporeon look:


In this close up, you can see that I have some pale blue teardrop earrings on.  I chose them for this look because Vaporeon is a water type.




I just thought these blue filter pictures Brian took looked cool.



This post wouldn't be complete without an AR photo.  Unfortunately I forgot to take one until the evening, when the lighting wasn't great.  I guess I'll probably have to wait until another time to get the perfect Vaporeon AR photo for my photo dex.

     Enjoying my Pokemonbounding series?  Stay tuned for a spooky bound next month!  Also, if there are any Pokemon you'd like to see in particular, let me know.  No promises I'll be able to make the looks, but I'll definitely give them some consideration.

No comments:

Post a Comment