Thursday, June 25, 2020

Alice in Wonderland Wedding Cake Toppers


     Even before COVID, when I was planning a much fancier iteration of my wedding, I had thought about using Little Debbie snack cakes during my reception.  Maybe not at the main cake (although I wasn't opposed to that idea), but I thought about having a couple of cake stands with different Little Debbie treats for my guests to enjoy.  Also, this is not sponsored.  I just love snack cakes, which shouldn't come as too much of a surprise, given my Christmas crafting last year.
     Which is why, when I realized we were going to have to majorly scale back the in person component of our wedding, I wasn't upset to make the switch to Little Debbie Fancy Cakes.  We wanted to have something prepackaged, so that our handful of in person guests wouldn't have to worry about other people coming into contact with their food.  Snack cakes seemed like the perfect option, and if you're having a wedding or another celebration during COVID, I'd definitely recommend going the individually packaged cake route.
     I made two types of cake toppers: a couples set for Brian and me (pictured above) and "Eat Me" toppers for our guests.  It was a fun little touch to make snack cakes feel a little more personal.  I did a video tutorial for the "Eat Me" toppers, which I'll include below, and this post has a written tutorial for the couples (Alice and the Hatter's Hat) toppers.  If you're going for more traditional couples toppers (e.g., bride and groom, bride and bride, spouse and spouse, etc.), you may need some different clip art, but the construction process would be similar.  These toppers could be great not only for weddings, but also for Alice in Wonderland themed parties, and with the right clip art, you could use this technique to make toppers to fit any party theme.


Couples Cake Topper

Materials:

*Medium to heavy weight white paper
*Computer and printer
*This Autumn in Wonderland clip art pack
*This Alice in Wonderland clip art pack
*Toothpicks
*School glue
*Scissors

Directions:

*Open up the Alice or other clip art design of your choosing.  The Autumn in Wonderland pack offers Alice with three different hair colors and two skin tones, but there may be other clip art packs that have an image or symbol that you like better.

*Copy the image and paste it into a word document.

*Shrink the image until it is the size that you would like your topper to be.

*Copy the image and flip it horizontally, so that you have your image in its original orientation and now a second image that is the mirror image of the first.

*Print out the images.

*Cut out the images.  You can either cut close to the images, as I did, or leave a border around them.  Leaving a border will require less precision, and you can always decorate the edges if you'd like.

*Glue the toothpick to the blank side of one of the images.  Glue the other image to the back of the first, blank sides together.

*To make the second topper, repeat the steps above with the hatter hat clip art, or another image of your choice.  Note that when you mirror the hatter hat, the 10/6 will be backward.  This means that when placing the hatter hat on your cake, you'll want to pay attention to which side is facing outward.

No comments:

Post a Comment