Thursday, June 6, 2019

X-Files Darkness Falls Birthday Party


     The X-Files has been one of my favorite shows since I was a kid.  I have a memory of watching it with my my dad when I was about nine or so while my sister hid in the laundry corner with mom.  I've always liked the monster-a-week standalone episodes better than the alien ones, and my favorite episode is "Darkness Falls," wherein luminescent mites exsanguinate people at nightfall.  I've thought about hosting an X-Files themed party for a while now, but this was the time I finally got around to it.  If X-Files seems a little creepy for a birthday party theme, you could also use this idea for a Halloween party.
     I hosted my party this past Saturday.  I've been a bit busy this summer so far, so I didn't get a chance to decorate as much as I would like to have.  Instead, I decided to focus on my favorite episode, "Darkness Falls," and picked some key elements from that episode to recreate.
     Over the next few weeks, I'll be showing you how I made the decorations, costumes, and cake for the party.  But for now, here's a brief overview of the party.


     As far as decorations went, I only made two for the party: a cocooned skeleton and green vinyl mites.  In the episode, Scully and Mulder happen upon a giant cocoon, only to discover an exsanguinated human corpse inside.  The culprits behind this cocoon are little green bugs.  While they are present during the day, they remain inactive until the lights go out.  The cocoon and the bugs are the two details from the episode that stick out the most to me, so those were the things I attempted to replicate.


     Brian and I dressed up as Scully and Mulder for the party.  I've been wanting to dress as Dana Scully for a while, but her hair has always been an obstacle.  She's known for her signature red bob, whereas my hair is long and not red.  I finally found a way to pull it off.


     For food, we had a lot of pizza, as well as cake and ice cream.  I had found some vegan marshmallows and was planning on making smores as an activity, but it slipped my mind.  I didn't plan any activities this year, so we mostly just hung out, but it was a lot of fun anyway.


     I hope you enjoyed this post.  Stay tuned for more!

No comments:

Post a Comment