Thursday, September 24, 2015

Halloween Countdown Photo Calendar


     Looking for a fun way to count down the days until Halloween?  Try making a photo calendar using old Halloween pictures.  Don't have 31 Halloween pictures you want to use?  Leave some of the tags blank and let the calendar grow over time.  I used 11 pictures from the past 5 years for mine and am excited to see how the calendar will change in the years to come.

Materials:
*Tags numbered 1-31 (see below for ideas)
*Mini clothespins
*Small photos
*Glue
*Scissors
*Halloween ribbon
*Halloween themed bottle cap magnets
*Magnetic tape
*Black and white cardstock

Directions:
*Create number tags.  I cut out this pattern with my Silhouette CAMEO, using white cardstock to cut out the outside part of the tag and purple, black, green, and orange cardstock for the inserts.  However, there are tons of ways you could hand make tags, such as by using Halloween themed cardstock and gluing numbers to the tag, similar to what I did with this Christmas advent calendar.
*Select the photos that you would like to use for your calendar.  Crop them to squares and resize them so that they are small enough to fit on either the insert tags if you're using the same pattern I did, or on the back of the tags if you're making them by hand.  Glue them to the tags accordingly.
*Once the tags are dry, clip them to lengths of ribbon with mini clothespins such that the photo side of the tags are hidden from view.  Next week I'll be explaining how I decorated my clothespins, but if you're looking to make some in the interim, you can use paint, cardstock, stickers, Halloween shaped confetti, etc. for decorating.
*Use bottle cap magnets to hold the ribbon to the refrigerator.  Make sure to use strong magnets.  Mine weren't strong enough and so I ended up having to tape the ribbon to the refrigerator.
*Create a month label.  I used black cardstock and some ribbon from Dollar Tree for the background and overlaid white text in Times New Roman Font (with the exception of the "O," which I got from this Halloween monogram set), but decorate yours as you wish.
*Add magnetic tape to the back of the month label and place it on the fridge.
*To use the calendar, as each day of October passes, turn over the tags (or inserts) to reveal the photo, like I did with the "1" tag in the picture below:


No comments:

Post a Comment