Thursday, May 14, 2020

Zombie Gretel (from Hansel and Gretel) Costume


     This costume came about because of a romper I found at Charlotte Russe a year or so ago.  I saw it and it just screamed Hansel and Gretel to me, not that it is anything like what a historical Gretel would have worn.  I love costumes, as many of you are aware, and so I figured I'd pick it up and save it until I had the opportunity to put a costume together.  I know this romper is a very specific garment that most of you probably won't have lying around, but if you have an old fashioned, storybook-esque dress, that would work just as well.  The props are, I think, the key to this costume.  If you haven't seen my previous posts on the props, here's how to make the lollipop and here's how to make the gingerbread plushie.


Here's another pic of the costume.


     Earlier in the day, I dressed up as a non-zombie incarnation of Gretel, as you can see in the above picture.  I only painted the blood spatters on one side of the lollipop, so if you reverse it, it looks like a normal lollipop.  At some point in time, I also want to make a cutesy gingerbread plushie to complete the non-zombie Gretel look.
     Also, if you ever need to make fake blood in a pinch, add a little red food coloring to caramel sauce and you're good to go.  If you need it to stick, you'll want to use a thicker variety of caramel sauce.  I had it on my face for at least a couple of hours, and it stayed on my face.
     I had a lot of fun with this costume, so if you're thinking about holding a quarantine costume party, I would definitely recommend.  If you do, I'd love to see what costumes you come up with.

No comments:

Post a Comment