Thursday, May 16, 2019

Uranium-238 Decay Series Nail Art



     On May 8th I gave my dissertation proposal.  Since my proposal was on radiometric dating, I thought it would be fun to style my nails based on the uranium-238 decay series.  I was waiting to write the post until after I passed my defense because I can be a bit superstitious and didn't want to jinx myself.  I am pleased to report that I did indeed pass, so as soon as I turn in my paperwork, I will officially be a PhD candidate.

Me at the end of my talk.

     I tried to match my nail colors to the colors of the elements.  However, a lot of the elements in the uranium-238 decay series are gray or silver, so I took liberties in some instances for a wider variety of colors.  If you're planning on being somewhere at night with these nails, glow in the dark nail polish could add a fun twist to this manicure.

Materials:

*Nail polish in radioactive colors of your choice
*Nail art pen

Directions:

*Paint your nails in the color scheme that you deem appropriate.

*Using the nail art pen, write radioisotopes of your choice on your nails.  Since my dissertation work focuses a lot on lead-210, I chose part of the decay series that would include lead-210, but use whatever part of the decay series that appeals to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment