Thursday, December 5, 2013

Glitter Ornaments Take 2


    Last year when I made glitter ornaments, I had some difficulty getting the glue to dry.  When I went to A. C. Moore after Christmas, I noticed that the store had some glitter ornaments on display and I asked an employee how they made their ornaments.  The employee explained that there was a special type of adhesive that you needed to use to make them.  Unfortunately they had sold out of it, so I did not get a chance to experiment with it last year.
     When November rolled around and I started thinking ahead to Christmas crafts, I recalled the glitter ornaments and decided that I wanted to try making them again.  My aunt suggested that I bring some ornament making supplies down for Thanksgiving so we could all make ornaments together and I immediately thought that the glitter ornaments would be perfect for that.  I had yet to try the new adhesive, but when we started making the ornaments it turned out that it was really easy to use and we all had a blast.

Here we are, working on our ornaments

And here are the lovely glitter ornaments we made.  Notice how my sister's ornament is half pink and half silver.  If you're feeling adventurous, try making a two tone ornament.

     These ornaments are so pretty and easy to make that I made some more for my own tree a couple of days later.  When my friend and fellow math grad Sophie stopped by my house over the weekend and the subject of Christmas ornaments came up, I suggested we make some.  The ornaments came out wonderfully.

Here are the ornaments we made

     If you're looking for something fun to do with your family or friends this holiday season, try making some of these ornaments.  They are easy enough so that even those people who consider themselves inept at crafting can make them.  Or, if your loved ones aren't interested in crafting, you could give them out as gifts.

Materials:
*Plastic or glass ball ornaments
*Ultra fine glitter
*Glitter It adhesive

Directions:
*Layer your work space with newspaper.
*Uncap your ornament and pour in some Glitter It.  Swirl the adhesive around until it has coated the entirety of the inside of the ornament.
*Pour excess adhesive back into the bottle.  Let the adhesive drain out for about 15 seconds.
*Open a container of glitter and pour into the ornament.  Swirl the glitter around inside the ornament until it has coated the entire ornament, adding more glitter as necessary.
*Pour any excess glitter back into the container.
*Set the ornament aside to dry.  The package for the adhesive did not say anything about how long it would take to dry, but letting the ornaments sit for about 15 minutes before putting their tops back on seemed sufficient.

     Looking for more Christmas crafts, such as ornaments or advent calendars?  Check out the Christmas section of my blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment