Thursday, November 14, 2013

Ornament wreath



     My first Christmas post of the year!  This year I plan on making some new ornaments for my tree, so if you're looking for ornament ideas, keep an eye out.  This week's craft is not about making ornaments, but it does involve them.  I saw this craft on favecrafts and thought I would try it for myself.  It was a lot more work than I initially thought it would be, but the end result was pretty nice.

Materials:
*Wire coat hanger
*About 72 small plastic ball ornaments
*Wire cutters
*Ribbon
*Needle nose pliers (optional)
*All purpose adhesive (optional)
*Thread
*Scissors

Directions:
*Depending on what type of ornaments you are using, you may find it helpful to glue the ornament tops to the ornaments before you get started.  I didn't do this and I kept having ornaments separate from their tops and fall off the wreath.  Let the glue dry before using the ornaments.
*Bend the hanger into a circle.
*Untwist the wire hanger.  This can be a bit difficult to do with just your hands, so you may want to use pliers, as I did.
*Slide the ornaments onto the hanger in an arrangement you find pleasing.  I rotated through the four colors, but I wasn't careful about how I arranged them, so I still ended up with some clusters of the same color.
*Once you've finished adding ornaments, twist the ends of the hanger back together.  Again, you may find it easier to use pliers here.
*Snip off the hook just above where the hanger ends intertwine using heavy duty wire cutters.
*Carefully bend over the twisted part of the hanger to form a hook, making sure not to undo the twist in the process.
*Use heavyweight thread to hang up the wreath.  Tie a bow around the twisted part of the hanger to cover it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment