Thursday, January 19, 2012

Childhood Crafts

My little "robot" after being freed from the time capsule

     On Sunday, I opened a time capsule with my sister and a good friend of ours.  It had been five years since we had constructed our time capsule, the longest we had managed to keep a time capsule for.  Upon opening the time capsule, I found this little guy inside.  While I have always been somewhat crafty, it was a reminder of just how crafty I was as kid.  As a tribute to my childhood craftiness, my craft this week is my little “robot.”

Materials:
*Wooden bead
*Golf tee
*Pipe cleaner
*Googly eyes
*Thread
*Small piece of clay with a hole through the center
*Small wooden spool
*2 round wooden pieces
*Small nail
*Wire cutters
*Hot glue

Directions:
*Place the hole in the wooden bead over the golf tee.  Glue the pieces together.
*Glue a wooden circular piece to the top of the golf tee
*Trim a pipe cleaner to the appropriate length to form arms for the “robot” and glue on the pipe cleaner arms
*Glue googly eyes to the wooden bead to form the “robot’s” eyes
*Affix a wooden circular piece to the bottom of the wooden spool
*Construct a small, rectangular piece of clay with a hole through it large enough to thread a piece of string through.  Bake the clay according to the directions it comes with
*Cut a length of thread at least 1’ in length.  Glue one end of the string to the golf tee, at the point where the golf tee begins to widen.  Slide the other end of the string through the clay piece and glue on
*Slide the nail into the wooden spool.  The head of the nail should be able to rest flatly against the spool.  If this is not the case, trim the nail until it fits
*Center the nail inside the circular base of the “robot.”  Glue the nail to the circular base, then let dry
*Place the “robot” on top of the spool, with the nail going inside the spool.  Pull the string and your “robot” should spin

My little "robot" in action!

Have any memorable childhood crafts?  Feel free to share them with me at hathaway.amber@gmail.com or describe them in the comments section below.

1 comment: