Thursday, September 21, 2017

Halloween Costume Contest Cat Trophies


     I originally wasn't planning on making trophies anything like these.  I had seen some skulls on pedestals on Dollar Tree's website and planned on buying some and decorating them, but my local Dollar Tree didn't have any in stock.  The semester is really starting to pick up, so I decided that while I had a few minutes to spare this weekend, I needed to finish the trophies.  I started thinking about what supplies I had around the house and I remembered that I had several cat figurines that I could use.  I thought it might be neat to dress black cats up in costumes.
     I asked Brian what he would dress up as if he was a cat and he said a shark (there's a meme we have on our fridge with a cat wearing a knitted shark hat that says, "sometimes you have to tell yourself "I am a shark" and attack the day).  I remembered the shark cat riding Roomba videos and Brian suggested making the cat's base into a Roomba.  That's how the shark cat trophy came to be.  For the others, I got my inspiration from a "costumes for cats" search on Pinterest.
     I love how these came out, especially the shark one.  I'll have a hard time surrendering them at my Halloween party.

Materials:
*Cat figures
*Jar lids
*Black paint
*Red paint
*Paintbrush
*Hot glue
*Felt, cardstock, and other decorative elements
*Paper
*All purpose adhesive

Directions:

*Glue cats to the jar lids.

*Paint the cats and their bases black.  Let dry.  Apply multiple coats if necessary.

*Paint red eyes on the cats.

*Add costumes.  For the bat/gargoyle creatures, I cut some wing shapes from black felt and glued them to the cat figurines.

*For the Beanie Baby, I punched a red heart from cardstock, wrote "ty" in white gel pen, poked a threaded needle through the cardstock, and tied the tag around the cat's neck.

*Shark cat riding a Roomba I just kind of winged, so I can't explain it quite as well as I'd like.  I cut out two shapes like a quarter of an ellipse from blue felt and sewed them together along the curved edge.  I then cut out a row of teeth from cream colored felt and stitched them to the shark costume's mouth.  I cut a blue rectangle from felt and sewed the shark head hood onto it and then trimmed it down to fit around the cat.  I glued the costume to the cat (just the "belted" part that goes around the cat's belly) and then cut out a fin from blue felt and glued it to the costume.  For the Roomba base, I painted the outer edge black and then painted the inside silver.

*Print out labels for the various awards and glue them to the bases.

Shark cat for "Most Creative" costume award.

Bat cats (or gargoyle cats) for "Best Couple/Group Costume."

Beanie Baby cat for "Best Costume."

No comments:

Post a Comment