Thursday, April 28, 2016

Nebula in a Bottle/Magical Potion Vial


     Here is a multipurpose craft.  I made it to be a nebula in a bottle, but when I was done I realized it could also make for a neat "magical" potion.  Although Halloween is still months away, if you're looking for some not so creepy decor ideas, you may want to keep this craft in mind.

Materials:
*Vial or bottle with a cork
*Food coloring in color of your choice
*Water
*Silver glitter
*Cotton (I used stuffing because that was what I had on hand, but if you want more of a color contrast like some of the other nebula in a bottle crafts have, you'll want to use cotton).

Directions:
*Add a few drops of food coloring to some water, until you reach your desired color.


*Using a measuring cup or some other instrument that will allow you to pour liquid in a little at a time, add some of the colored water to the bottle/vial.


*Add some cotton and then pack it down.  If you pack it very densely, more of the white will show through, whereas if you go for a looser packing, you won't see as much of a color gradient.


*Add some glitter and mix it around inside the bottle.  I was using a very small vial, so I used the long straight end of a mixer blade for mixing purposes.


*Add more colored water.


*Add more cotton, followed by more glitter, and then mix.  Fill up any remaining space with colored water.  Put the cork back on and now you're done!


*Note: I've read that if you add clear nail polish to the bottom/sides of the cork you can prevent the dye from seeping through the cork.  I didn't have any clear nail polish on hand, so I couldn't try it myself, but I figured I'd throw the idea out there in case any of you were interested.

No comments:

Post a Comment