Thursday, July 2, 2015

Red and White Paper Roses


     Brian didn't want me buying artificial roses for my birthday party, so he promised to help me make paper roses.  He ended up making all four of the white roses and one of the reds, while I made the remaining three reds.

Materials:
*Cardstock in red and/or white
*Floral wire
*All purpose adhesive
*Rose template
*Scissors
*Pen

Directions:
*I got the template and instructions from elli.com.  They have an excellent pictorial tutorial that is easy to follow, but I did make a few modifications to it as I went along, which I will mention below.
*First of all, I substituted floral wire instead of bamboo skewers.
*Secondly, you'll notice there is no template for red roses.  I just used the one for white roses on red cardstock.  The only problem with this method is the leaves will not print correctly.  I eschewed leaves entirely, but if you do want to use them, you can print extra leaves onto white cardstock or you can trace the leaves onto green cardstock.
*Instead of hot glue, I used all purpose adhesive.  Brian tried using hot glue for the roses he made and it worked out all right, but I think the all purpose adhesive was easier to work with and it has held up just fine.
*To make the roses look more rose-like, I cut some of the bigger (four- and five-petal) rose pieces apart, adding in an extra set of two-petal pieces and multiple extra three-petal pieces.
*To give the roses more of an Alice in Wonderland vibe, you could try mixing together red and white pieces when constructing your roses.
*For instructions on how to make the teapot vase these roses are in, see last week's blog post.

No comments:

Post a Comment