Thursday, September 19, 2019

DIY Astrophysicist Barbie Costume


     When I was little, I loved Barbie.  I would generally get a new Barbie for Christmas each year, and my dad (or Santa, I forget which ;)) would often give me dolls that aligned with my career interests.  I remember receiving Dentist Barbie (I wanted to be a doctor, but I don't think Doctor Barbie was available that year, and Dentist Barbie still had a medical coat), Teacher Barbie, and Working Woman Barbie.  If Scientist Barbie had been a thing, I probably would have gotten her too, since my parents were always getting me cool science kits, but alas, 90s Barbies did not spend much time in the lab.
     As an adult, my feelings toward Barbie are more complicated.  Nonetheless, when I learned that Mattel was releasing Astrophysicist Barbie, I couldn't help but be excited.  Sure, I'm not an astrophysicist, but I doubt Mattel is coming out with Theoretical Physicist Barbie any time soon, so Astrophysicist Barbie is probably the closest thing I'll see to a Barbie like me for a long while.
     Barbie turns 60 this year, so I thought it might be fun to put together a Barbie costume, and of course Astrophysicist Barbie was the obvious choice.  Originally I wanted to try to replicate her outfit more closely, but it turned out to be harder than I thought it would to find a long sleeved galaxy print top.  So I went for a Barbie inspired look rather than an exact replica.  It's certainly not the most recognizable Barbie look, although if you brought the doll with you, I'm sure people would get the idea.


The actual Astrophysicist Barbie


Me as Astrophysicist Barbie, with my handy star chart.


The wind was really bad the day we decided to do the photo shoot.  I don't think we got a single photo where my hair was still.

Materials:

*Galaxy print top/romper/dress
*Black leggings
*Black booties
*Star chart (such as these free printable charts)
*Astronomy related backdrop

Notes:

*I opted to take my pictures in front of the observatory at UMaine since I don't have a telescope.

*Since my outfit wasn't spot on, I tried straightening my hair for this to look a little more like the doll.  My hair, however, had other plans.  The unrelenting wind didn't help matters any.

*This is one of those times when Barbie's outfit choices are actually suited to her profession.  I've worn almost the exact same outfit as the one I wore here in my duties as a physicist.

No comments:

Post a Comment