Wednesday, October 10, 2018

DIY Zombie Nails and Zombie Photo Shoot


     This year I decided to go for a zombie look for Dare to Wear's annual Halloween costume contest.  I saw these awesome nails on Pinterest and decided to use them for inspiration.  I'm not nearly as talented as the person who painted those, but I think my nails give that "just crawled out of the grave" vibe nonetheless.  Plus, you can make these using just nail polish.
     I intended to take pictures of the stages, but it ended up taking some trial and error, removing polish and adding it back, before I got the "bruising" to a point where I was okay with it.  Thus, my instructions don't fully capture the process I went through.  Hopefully you can replicate these without those issues, but if it takes a few tries, you're in good company.

Materials:

*Clear base coat
*White nail polish
*Dark purple nail polish
*Lavender nail polish
*Magenta nail polish
*Crimson nail polish
*Nail art brush
*Makeup sponge or sponge brush

Directions:

*Start by painting your nails as you would for a French manicure.

*Sponge on dark purple around the base of the nails to create bruising.

*Sponge on a light layer of lavender nail polish to tone down the dark purple a little.

*Sponge a little bit of magenta around the edges of the "bruising.". Let dry.

*Use the nail art brush to draw on "cracks" in the nails in crimson.

*Add crimson "bloodstains" to the tips of the nails and sponge on some crimson along the skin beneath the nails.

Undying Love Photo Shoot

     For Dare to Wear's contest, I wanted to do something with the Sweetheart Top in scarlet.  The red roses remind me of Valentine's Day and Valentine's Day reminds me of zombies, so I decided to go with a zombie themed shoot I called "Undying Love." Here are the photos that I thought  captured the story.








Other Zombie Photos

     I also took some photos that didn't really fit into the narrative.  And since I have my zombie romper, I thought it would be funny to do a zombie shoot in a zombie romper, so we did a second photo shoot with the zombie romper.  I'm so glad we did that second shoot too, because I feel like I really got into character with that one and some of the pics are pretty creepy.
     This was probably my favorite photo shoot I've done.  The nice thing about being a zombie is that you don't have to worry about looking pretty.  I didn't have to smile.  I spent the two hours Brian was photographing me growling and gnashing my teeth.  This may sound weird, but I had a ton of fun pretending to be a zombie.
     The pics that follow are just a small sample of the ones Brian shot, and I love each one of them.



















No comments:

Post a Comment