Sunday, August 21, 2016

Getting Started on a Pokemon GO Trainer Costume

     We interrupt your regularly scheduled Facebook browsing to bring you an important announcement: Halloween is coming!  If you have not set foot inside your local crafting store lately, you may be unaware of the influx of ghoulish goodies alerting you to the fact that October 31st only about 70 days away.  No but seriously, I welcome the onslaught of Halloween crafting items and decor.  Halloween is the most fun holiday when it comes to decorating, hands down.  Plus, there are no decoration intensive holidays between now and the end of October.  This isn't like the Christmas creep, which has absorbed Thanksgiving, is making inroads against Halloween, and, with all of the Christmas in July hullabaloo, will probably soon devour Independence Day.  Without Halloween items, you'd be stuck looking at aisles of end of summer clearance stuff, thinking about all the paradise beach vacations you didn't get to go on until mid-September, and who wants that?
     Anyway, today we're talking about Halloween costumes.  Summer clothes are at steeply discounted prices right now and will soon be vanishing from stores, so if your costume calls for shorts or other summery attire, now's the time to start looking.  This year I'm planning on dressing up as a Pokemon trainer, specifically my Pokemon GO character:


Some people are making really awesome costumes that match their trainer down to the last detail.  I, however, do not have that level of ambition (nor the sewing skills), so I'm trying to approximate mine as best as I can with more common items.  Here's what I've found so far:


     As you can see, it's not a perfect match, but I think these pieces are a decent approximation of some elements of the costume.  (I'm still looking for something to use for the jacket.  I imagine that's going to be the most challenging piece to come up with.)  For me, the ideal Halloween costume is one primarily constructed from clothing items that I can wear for other occasions.  Instead of going with a romper, which is what it looks like my character is wearing, I've opted for shorts and a camisole.  The cami is one of several that I already own. The shorts came from the Macy's clearance rack and cost about $13 and the leggings also came from Macy's clearance and cost about $10.  The hat I picked up at Joann and, with a coupon, it cost about $2.50.  I intend to embellish it further and will let you know how that goes.
     So that's what I'm starting with.  Hopefully it gives you some ideas for your own costume.  Expect more to come as I continue to piece mine together.

No comments:

Post a Comment