Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Last Minute Costume: Mystery Inc.


     Halloween is right around the corner.  Still looking for a costume?  Why not go as a member of Mystery Inc.?  Also, check out these other easy and inexpensive last minute Halloween costume ideas.
     Brian and I happened upon this costume idea by accident.  Brian wore brown pants and a green shirt to our Halloween party.  When he mentioned that he was not dressed up, someone pointed out that he looked like Shaggy.  We had not yet settled on a Halloween costume idea, so this gave us the inspiration we had been needing.
     Basically all you need for Shaggy is brown pants, a green shirt, and a scruffy appearance.  For Daphne, you'll want to wear all purple.  I went with a purple sweater and purple pants and I also have a pair of purple heeled boots (not pictured).  I bought a green chiffon scarf from Amazon.  You can't really tell from the picture, but I have a headband on.  I went over to my parents' house and dug around, looking for the old plastic headbands my sister and I used to thing were the most fashionable accessories.  I couldn't find a purple one, so I had to alter one a little.

Daphne Headband

Materials:
*Headband
*Mod Podge
*Paintbrush
*Purple glitter

Directions:
*Cover your workstation in newspaper.
*Coat the outer part of the headband in a layer of Mod Podge.
*Pour glitter over the Mod Podge and then set aside to dry.
*Once dry, add another coat of Mod Podge and another layer of glitter.  Set aside to dry.

Here's a slightly better picture, although the headband still is not completely visible:


     The last thing to consider for Daphne is her hair.  In these photos, my hair looks a bit redder than it is in reality, so for Halloween I'm going to have to do something to get Daphne's color.  There are of course always wigs and temporary dyes, but I'm planning on chalking my hair instead.  I didn't have enough orange chalk pastels to try this out beforehand, but on Halloween morning I'll try to give an update on how it went in case you're interested in trying it (Update: here's my hair chalking tutorial).  Chalking your hair Daphne's color will probably work best if you have light hair.
     You should be able to devise costumes for the other members of Mystery Inc. using similar ideas.  For Velma you'll need red pants or skirt, an orange top, some plastic black glasses frames, red shoes, and orange socks.  If you don't already have hair like hers, you will also need some way to replicate it.  For Fred you'll need blue jeans, a blue collared shirt, a white sweater, a red ascot, and tan loafers.  If you don't already have blonde hair, you will probably need a wig unless you want to bleach your hair. 
     Also, here's one more costume idea I stumbled across when I was on YouTube yesterday: Disney Princess Belle.  I'm not a huge fan of the Disney princesses, but I have to admit that I love this Belle costume.

No comments:

Post a Comment